Welcome to Family Programming at First Unitarian Church of Cincinnati!
If you are new to First Church, I want to extend an extra special welcome. Family and Children’s Programming at First Church, what some other congregations might refer to as Religious Education, is markedly different from what you’ll find at some other UU congregations because our focus is on the family, not just the child. We understand your life is busy. We understand that, at times, you feel overburdened with the work of raising a family. But, we also understand that you are your child’s greatest teacher. While we might have only 40 hours in a given year to influence your child, you, as their parent, have over 3,000 hours. Therefore, we are committed to partnering with you, to offer programming that not only fits into your busy schedule but that eases your burden as well.
If you would like to learn more about Family Programming's philosophy and policies, make sure to check out our overview. To learn more about our programming, including your child's curriculum for the year, be sure to take a look at our prospectus. Below, you will find a description of what your child will be learning, and doing, this coming Sunday, as well as a list of upcoming events and opportunities.
- Meredith Plummer, Director of Family Programming
This Sunday - September 24, 2017
PreK - K: Inside Our Congregation - Today, your child will become familiar with the inside of the larger building of which their Chalice Children meeting room is a part, and they will begin to develop a sense of belonging.
1st - 3rd Grade: Love Surrounds Us Sharing - In this session, your child will use positive words and actions as they learn and live our First Principle, affirming the inherent worth and dignity of every person. Participants will discover that these attitudes and actions are also taught in Jesus' Sermon on the Mount.
- 4th - 5th Grade: Rama and Sita - Today, your child will be introduced to some of the important figures in Hindu lore. They will hear the Hindu epic story taken from the Ramayana or Rama's Way. It tells the story of Prince Rama who was sent into exile in the forest with this wife Sita, and his brother, Lesmana. Sita was abducted by the vil demon Ravana but ultimate rescued by Prince Rama with the help of the Monkey King, Hanuman.
- Jr. High: Welcome to UUville - Youth will kick off the new church year with an introduction to UUville - a place where only UUs live. Today, your child will take on the role of a UUville resident and explore their beliefs through tough scenarios.
- Sr. High: Visioning - Today, youth will talk about what they want, and don't want, from their time in Sr. High youth group.
Upcoming OpportunitiesParents’ Night Out
You engage in deep discussion, and then enjoy some child free time. Your child has fun and builds friendships. It’s a win, win! This fall, think back on your childhood and ponder the ways in which it has shaped your reality, with our series, “Home.” RSVP required. Email me for details or to secure your spot.
- September 22, October 20, and November 17