The Purpose of the Religious Education (RE) program is to provide a spiritual, moral, and intellectual foundation on which our young people can build their own faith.
We implement this, first, through our curriculum. It includes a study of Unitarianism, Universalism, and religions from around the world including Judeo-Christian traditions. It also includes study and development of personal values. More detail about the curriculum is in the RE Prospectus.
Secondly, we welcome diversity and gear our lessons to the varied needs and abilities of our students. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, our teacher focus on the students and strengthening their sense of belonging and self-worth.
First Unitarian Church has two services each Sunday throughout the church year. The first service is at 9:00am and is accompanied by Children's Worship for children 4 years old - 5th grade, the second is at 11:00am and is accompanied by Religious Education classes for children 4 years old - 5th grade. Sunday school is provided for all infants and toddlers 0 - 3 years of age, in rooms 1 and 2, during both services. Youth, 6th grade and older, only participate in religious education during the second service, at which time they attend youth group.
- 9:00am - Children join their parents in the sanctuary.
- 9:15am - Children, 5th grade and younger, are dismissed to their religious education program. Youth, 6th grade and older, remain in the sanctuary.
- 10:15am - The Children's Circle and Sunday school are dismissed. Please pick up children in their classrooms if they are not staying for Children's Choir.
- 10:45am - Children's Choir is dismissed. Please pick up children in the imagination room.
- **Congregants mingle during coffee hour in the Great Room**
- 11:00am - Children, Preschool - 5th grade, join their parents in the sanctuary. Infants and toddlers, as well as Jr. and Sr. High youth are invited to join their classmates in their classrooms.
- 11:15am - All Children and Youth are dismissed to their religious education programs.
- 12:15am - Sunday school is dismissed. Youth, 6th grade and older, will join their parents in the great room after classes.