Welcome to Family Faith Development at First Unitarian Church of Cincinnati!
If you are new to First Church, I want to extend an extra special welcome. Family Faith Development at First Church, what some other congregations might refer to as Religious Education, is markedly different from what you’ll find at some other UU congregations because our focus is on the family, not just the child. We understand your life is busy. We understand that, at times, you feel overburdened with the work of raising a family. But, we also understand that you are your child’s greatest teacher. While we might have only 40 hours in a given year to influence your child, you, as their parent, have over 3,000 hours. Therefore, we are committed to partnering with you, to offer programming that not only fits into your busy schedule but that eases your burden as well.
If you would like to learn more about Family Faith Development's philosophy and policies, make sure to check out our overview. To learn more about our programming, including your child's curriculum for the year, be sure to take a look at our prospectus. Below, you will find a description of what your child will be learning, and doing, this coming Sunday, as well as a list of upcoming events and opportunities.
- Meredith Plummer, Director of Lifespan Faith Development
This Sunday, November 17th
- Preschool - Kindergarten: Today, your child will hold a celebration of winter and upcoming holidays. They'll read holiday books, and create foam gingerbread houses.
- 1st - 3rd Grade: Today, your child will explore how to grow peace and happiness. They'll read The Seeds of Peace by Laura Berkeley and create pictures out of dyed rice.
- 4th - 5th Grade: Today, your child will not be traveling. Instead, they will remain in Ohio to learn about the indigenous spiritual practice of song and dance. Then, they'll listen to culturally significant songs from around the world.
- Jr. High: Today, your youth will continue their discussion from last week by exploring the dangers and moral/ethical issues inherent in fast fashion.
- Sr. High: Your Sr. High youth will attend today's service on Justice.
Upcoming and Ongoing Opportunities
Register Your Child(ren) and Youth
Now is the time to register your child(ren) and/or youth for Sunday School and/or Youth Group. By registering, you're not only providing us with important information so we can better serve your family, but your ensuring you remain in-the-loop. Family Faith Development emails only go to registered families. Click on your child's class below to register.
Infant / Toddlers
Preschool - Kindergarten
1st - 3rd Grade
4th - 5th Grade
Jr. High (6th - 8th Grade)
Sr. High (9th - 12th Grade)
Sundays this December we will be suspending our regularly scheduled lessons, transforming our basement into a winter wonderland, and inviting our children in PreK - 5th grade to "Create, Make, and Take gifts for First Church members and loved ones."
Adulting Classes for Teens
These classes, offered every three months will help teens address the practical problems in their lives. Click on the flier below to register.
Breakfast with Santa / Mitten Tree
These annual events are a fun way for our families to 'pay it forward' during the holiday season. Both take place Sunday, December 8th. Breakfast with Santa will start at 8:30 AM, and Mitten Tree will start at 10:00 AM. Click on the Breakfast with Santa flier below to register for this event. No registration is required for Mitten Tree - Just show up with winter wear (hats, gloves, scarves, mittens, coats, etc.) in hand.
Parents' Night Out
Let's face it, you need a break, and so do your children. Click on the flier below to register.